A majority of Windows 10 & Windows 8 users have complained regarding printer connectivity. It turns out that printer says offline in the system but, actually, it is connected and completely operational. Usually, persons who employ and utilize network printers have raised this issue and nobody is able to get the exact answer which everybody is asking that is ‘Why is my printer offline?’ It turns out that a few users, who have a direct connection, are also facing the same issue. Now you needn’t worry about the same as by following the steps mentioned in this post you will be able to turn printer online in a matter of seconds.
Printer Shows Offline in Windows 10 | How to Get Printer Online?
You can start employing each of the following methods to turn printer online and see which one works for you.
Method 1: Investigating your Printer Connection
- You can try switching off and restarting your printer. Wait for some time post restarting the printer and check on the status.
- If your printer uses USB Cable make sure that the cable is properly connected and the USB port is working.
- If your printer utilizes the wired network, you need to ensure that the cable which is connected to your printer is properly plugged in the Ethernet port. If your cable is really old and is unable to fit in properly, you might have to replace the cable.
- Lastly, if your printer uses wireless network you can try restarting your router and make sure that the printer is connected properly to the PC network.
Method 2: Investigate the Printing Status
- The problem of printer shows offline in Windows 10 can have several reasons and the issue is not brand specific. We are getting complaints regarding Epson printer offline Windows 10; Ricoh printer offline as well has HP printer offline error.
- In your Windows 10 operating system press Windows Key + I to launch Settings and navigate to Devices -> Devices and Printers.
- If you see your default printer is check marked green, right click on it and tap on ‘See What’s Printing.’ However, if the green checkmark is not there please right click and tap on ‘Set as Default Printer’ and thereafter tap on ‘See What’s Printing.’
- A small window will open up. Tap on the ‘Printer’ menu option and if you see ‘Pause Printing’ & ‘Use Printer Offline’ are ticked; please remove the same and try printing again.
- Moreover, in the same window, you can check out if some printing jobs are still present. Delete them to clear the queue. For that, you can use the ‘Cancel All Documents’ option on the ‘Printer’ menu.
- Also, please check your printer to see if any paper jams are there. Clear the same if any and thereafter remove the document from the print queue and try printing again.
Method 3: Restarting Print Spooler Service
- If your print spooler service is not working properly then also you can get the error stating that printer status is offline.
- Please press Windows Key + R and type services.msc in the box. Hit Enter.
- A list of services will come up. Find ‘Print Spooler’ in these services. Its status must be ‘Running.’ However, if you don’t see it ‘Running’ right-click and tap on ‘Start.’
- In the same right-click pop-up menu an option to ‘Restart’ is also there. Please tap on the same to restart the print spooler service.
- Try printing again and we hope that this will take care of the ‘Printer says offline’ error.
Method 4: Updating your printer drivers
- Press Windows Key + I and the ‘Settings’ will open up. Navigate to Devices -> Devices & Printers.
- Right-click on your printer and select the option of ‘Remove Device.’
- When prompted for permissions please provide the same by clicking on ‘Yes.’
- Now, you can reinstall the printer through the ‘Add Printer Wizard.’ Get the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Also, you can navigate to Settings -> Update & Security and tap on ‘Check for Updates’ button.
- If there are any new updates Windows 10 will install the same automatically and this might fix the issue of ‘Printer Status if Offline.’
That’s it..We have covered information different ways on fixing printer status offline and changing it to online..Guys if we have missed out any important information , please do let us know in the comments section.